Sunday, October 4, 2009

More Deliciousness...

CSA Box #3!

I lucked out this time with a bag of mixed potatoes and immediately thought of potato salad. Unfortunately, I realized that I had run out of veganaise at the last minute. I scraped what was left from the jar and then mashed the potatoes a little to make the salad a little creamier and it worked.

I decided to roast the fingerling potatoes and some peppers for brunch alongside a Mexican tofu scramble. I also roasted some Anaheim chilies and corn and threw those in along with tomatoes, tortillas,and garlic.
Here's a cute sandwich with yellow bell peppers, tomatoes, onions, basil, and homemade white bean hummus. See the dish of watermelon in the back? That came in box #2. Try eating an entire watermelon by yourself. Practically impossible so part of the melon was donated to the Fantasy Football Draft. Also-I advise against transporting watermelons unsecured in your car. Mine rolled off the backseat onto the floor of the car and split in half. Next time the sucker is wearing a seat belt.



This stew was both easy and delicious. I searched through my cookbooks looking for a way to use up the collard greens from CSA box #3. I found a stew in Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker and substituted butternut squash for sweet potatoes along with a few other ingredients and was pleasantly surprised with how well it turned out. I leave you with the recipe:




Spicy White Bean and Butternut Squash Stew with Collards
1 TBSPN olive oil
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
1 bell pepper, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
i small butternut squash, chopped
1 fresh hot chili (I used a jalapeno)
1 TSPN fresh peeled, grated ginger
1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with their juices (I used a bunch of fresh ripe tomatoes)
3 cups of cooked white beans
1 TSPN light brown sugar
1/2 TSPN allspice
1/4 TSPN cumin
2 bay leaves
3 cups vegetable stock
salt & pepper
2 cups chopped collard greens, cooked in simmering water until tender & drained

1. Saute the onion, garlic, & pepper in the olive oil for 5 minutes.

2. Transfer the mixture to your slow cooker. Add the squash, chili, ginger, tomatoes, beans, sugar, allspice, cumin, bay leaves, & stock; season with salt & pepper, cover, and cook on low for 4-6 hours.

3. Close to serving time, stir in the cooked collard greens. Taste, adjust seasonings, remove bay leaves, and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment