Friday, February 27, 2009

Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes











I will know that I have fulfilled my duty as godmother when I have converted AM to being a vegan. Veganism starts young and for a while I was very encouraged as AM was initially lactose intolerant, she seemed to favor beans, tofu, and avocado, and was suspicious of meat. Just imagine my horror when I saw a blog post of her gnawing on a lamb shank.

Oh no.

AM stopped by last weekend. *Please note the adorably fashionable outfit picked out by me.











AM was a little confused at my apartment as I don't own any toys. I attempted to entertain her with a spatula and a wooden polar bear tree ornament.

She was not feeling it. So-I had just baked some Crimson Velveteen Cupcakes and thought she would like one.

As you can see in this photo, AM was a bit cautious but that is actually a common trait that us vegans share.









Cupcake coma coming on.....

Recipe











Ingredients:
1 cup soymilk
1 TSPN apple cider vinegar
1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
2 TBSPN cocoa powder
1/2 TSPN baking powder
1/2 TSPN baking soda
1/2 TSPN salt
1/3 cup canola oil
1 TBSPN red food coloring
2 1/2 TSPN vanilla extract
1/2 TSPN almond extract

Directions:

1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
2. Whisk together the soy milk and vinegar, set aside to curdle
3. Sift flour, sugar, cocoa, baking powder. baking soda, & salt into large bowl & mix
4. Add the oil, food coloring, extracts to the soy milk mixture. Whisk well to combine. Fold into dry ingredients until large lumps disappear.
5. Fill lined muffin tin with batter. Place in hot oven for 25 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.

Frosting:

1/2 cup nonhydrogenated shortening
1/2 nonhydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance)
3 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
1 1/2 TSPN vanilla extract
1/4 cup soy milk

Directions:

Beat the shortening & margarine together until well combined and fluffy. Add the sugar gradually. Add extract & soy milk, beat until fluffy. I added a few drops of red coloring to make the frosting pink.

3 comments:

  1. I love AM’s vampire eyes. Thanks for posting the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you add the link? Thanks! I'm still figuring out how to do this whole blog thing!

    ReplyDelete